Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Planting Potatoes

Hello Fellow Homesteaders!

Are you growing potatoes this year? I love growing potatoes! Since you can't watch them producing, it's sort of like opening a gift...you never know what you are going to get! I have tried a variety of potato growing methods: in-ground, in tires, a potato tower, and in milk crates. Milk crates have been my favorite so far.


I place newspaper, packing paper, or paper bags in the bottom to help hold the soil in place initially. It will decompose as the season goes along, but by then, the roots will help hold the soil in place. I also like doing this because the roots won't get container bound...as the newspaper decomposes, the roots find their way through into the ground but the growing potatoes will stay in the container so you don't have to dig them up come harvest time.


Then find a couple of helpers that love playing in the dirt!


We put a few inches of soil in the bottom.


Then placed a few potatoes on top.


Then topped it off with a couple more inches of soil.


As the plants grow, I will fill in the crates with mulch. Here is some dried grass and chopped leaves we are going to use. In the past I have used plain leaves and straw and both worked great.


Now we watch and wait! Potatoes are heavy feeders and this is the first year I am using homemade potting soil to grow them. I hope for my best yield yet! Do you grow potatoes? What is your favorite method?

Happy gardening!

Jen Hen

Shared on The Home Acre Hop 114

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following! I'd love to hear from you!

Disclaimer: This is my personal blog. Any opinions are my own and are not necessarily shared with the authors of the links I provide. All pictures without an attached link for credit are my own. Because I post pictures of my family from time to time and need to protect their safety, permission is required before using any of my personal pictures. My personal opinions, writings, and quirky sense of humor are not meant to defame, purge, humiliate, and or injure anyone should they decide to act upon or reuse any information provided by me. Any comments made below are the sole responsibility of the independent reader that left them. I will not tolerate any hateful, profane, or generally hurtful comments on any of my posts. Please be polite with your disagreements.

I am not an expert on anything I write about, so consult a professional before attempting to repeat anything I have done or written about. I am not responsible for any damage, injury, death, monetary loss, or other loss that may incur with use of my blog. All my posts are meant to be an invitation to join me on my homesteading journey and perhaps help someone along the way. You, the reader, have an obligation to exercise common sense, further research, personal discretion, and professional consultation before following any of my suggestions or recommendations. All of my opinions are my own, whether I have been paid to give it or not.

With that said, I hope you have an excellent homesteading journey!