Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Goals for 2015: March

Hello Fellow Homesteaders!

I wanted to give you all an update on our goals for the year. We have made some awesome progress on some of these! You can find the original post HERE. Here's what progress we have made on our 2015 goals...


Goal #1. Get below 200 pounds by the end of the year... Well, I am hovering right below 240. I'm not gaining weight, but I'm not losing either. With the start of gardening season, I hope to see that change.


Goal #2. Finish the garage... Not a whole lot of noticeable work has been done, but progress is being made.


Goal #3. Start eating at the dinner table... Woot woot! We have noticeable progress! We have yet to eat at the table, but at least it's a possibility now.



Goal #4. Build a nicer and sturdier chicken pen... So far I have made $50 that I can put towards the pen. Now I just need to buy some lumber and get started.


Goal #5. Pay off the credit card for good and never let it accrue again... Praising the Lord! We have not officially paid it off, but my Knight went down today to pay off everything they currently had. Our next bill should just be a couple of dollars worth of interest and it will be gone! I am so grateful!!
Picture taken from http://kittybarrow.wordpress.com/2013/03/15/im-debt-free/


Goal #6. Get the van fixed... We had the van in the shop earlier this week to fix a starting issue. Now that the credit card debt is gone, we can focus on getting some things fixed here.


Goal #7. Have a more productive garden... So far so good! I am improving the way I water, maximizing space, and improving the soil. I hope for my best harvest yet!



Goal #8. Get a pressure canner... not yet.


Goal #9. (We have decided we need to cut this goal out this year. But, it is still in our future plans. We just don't feel it's realistic for us to be able to get this accomplished before the end of the year.) Get meat rabbits. Since we have very little space and city ordinance to comply with, we are very limited on our livestock options. We originally wanted to raise meat chickens, but after a lot of research and recommendations from folks who have raised both, we decided rabbits were more efficient for us. We'll still have chickens for eggs and eat the occasional rooster or un-laying hen, but they won't be primarily for meat. Now, this is a goal more directed at my Knight as he is all excited to have his own homesteading project and, to be honest, I am going to have to get over the "cute" factor of rabbits, so I will be less "hands-on" with this project.
Picture taken from http://www.thebackyardpioneer.com/2013/07/13/10-reasons-why-you-should-eat-rabbit-meat/


Goal #10. Get my sewing machine up and running again and organize a usable sewing space... This goal has definitely gotten more feasible since the dining room has been cleaned up. I may get started on this if we get enough rainy days.


Goal #11. Organize my kitchen, clear off the counters and create a storage space for small appliances and home-canned goods... I do have the mixer off the floor and the jars off the counter, but I'm still working on actual storage space for these items.


How are you doing on your goals for the year?

Homestead on!

Jen Hen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following! I'd love to hear from you!

Disclaimer: This is my personal blog. Any opinions are my own and are not necessarily shared with the authors of the links I provide. All pictures without an attached link for credit are my own. Because I post pictures of my family from time to time and need to protect their safety, permission is required before using any of my personal pictures. My personal opinions, writings, and quirky sense of humor are not meant to defame, purge, humiliate, and or injure anyone should they decide to act upon or reuse any information provided by me. Any comments made below are the sole responsibility of the independent reader that left them. I will not tolerate any hateful, profane, or generally hurtful comments on any of my posts. Please be polite with your disagreements.

I am not an expert on anything I write about, so consult a professional before attempting to repeat anything I have done or written about. I am not responsible for any damage, injury, death, monetary loss, or other loss that may incur with use of my blog. All my posts are meant to be an invitation to join me on my homesteading journey and perhaps help someone along the way. You, the reader, have an obligation to exercise common sense, further research, personal discretion, and professional consultation before following any of my suggestions or recommendations. All of my opinions are my own, whether I have been paid to give it or not.

With that said, I hope you have an excellent homesteading journey!