Friday, March 27, 2015

Making the Old New: A Shelf Story

Hello Fellow Homesteaders!

I love re-purposing items and giving old things a new life! I have had this shelf for quite some time. With the ongoing renovations, things like this have just collected dust waiting for the day where they get a chance to shine. Well, my wall hung coat rack broke last week and now we have coats and purses and bags (oh my!) scattered everywhere again and it's driving me batty! I looked into buying a new one or buying the hooks and making my own. But the pre-made ones seem flimsy and the hooks were high dollar! I ended up finding this as I was rummaging for something else and thought I'd give it a try. I'd prefer that it had more hooks, but it seems sturdy enough to hold a lot of weight. So here's the before pic. (I really love before and afters!)


I carefully removed the hooks and sanded the shelf to help the new paint stick.


The paint I used is actually from the hazardous waste facility. They take in old paint, filter it and sort by type and color, then mix it together to form a new color. The paint is free and they give it out in 5 gallon buckets for a $5 deposit for the bucket. You get the $5 back if you bring back the bucket. Not a bad deal! Anyway, we had gotten this paint for something else, but there is plenty. It seemed the perfect color to paint the living room. This shelf will go on the blue accent wall.


I let it dry then added another coat.


And another. I wanted full coverage!


I spray painted several coats of white paint on the hooks, carefully reattached them and...TA DA!!! A whole new item for our home!


Before and After...


Not too shabby! Now it waits for it's new home to be painted so it can be hung up. Do you like to re-purpose, up cycle, and give things a new life? What have you been working on?

Happy painting!

Jen Hen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following! I'd love to hear from you!

Disclaimer: This is my personal blog. Any opinions are my own and are not necessarily shared with the authors of the links I provide. All pictures without an attached link for credit are my own. Because I post pictures of my family from time to time and need to protect their safety, permission is required before using any of my personal pictures. My personal opinions, writings, and quirky sense of humor are not meant to defame, purge, humiliate, and or injure anyone should they decide to act upon or reuse any information provided by me. Any comments made below are the sole responsibility of the independent reader that left them. I will not tolerate any hateful, profane, or generally hurtful comments on any of my posts. Please be polite with your disagreements.

I am not an expert on anything I write about, so consult a professional before attempting to repeat anything I have done or written about. I am not responsible for any damage, injury, death, monetary loss, or other loss that may incur with use of my blog. All my posts are meant to be an invitation to join me on my homesteading journey and perhaps help someone along the way. You, the reader, have an obligation to exercise common sense, further research, personal discretion, and professional consultation before following any of my suggestions or recommendations. All of my opinions are my own, whether I have been paid to give it or not.

With that said, I hope you have an excellent homesteading journey!