Thursday, April 10, 2014

Welcome to my homestead!

Hello all!
It has been a beautiful week, perfect for gardening! I'd like to introduce you to the garden part of my homestead. Starting with my darling patio riddled with all sorts of toys.


Here is my first square foot garden made from recycled materials, albeit not exactly 1' x 1' squares. I put this together last fall and made a lasagna garden. It's like a compost pile, but more on that later.


This is my pallet garden of greens.


My future site for tomatoes, peppers, and basil.


The root veggie corner...some turnips and beets going strong already. Mind the ancient A/C unit. Praising God it starts up every summer. Praying this year is no exception. That's another story for later.


The pea gutter with a few little guys standing up. And the neighbor's bush peeking through the fence.


Strawberry pallet garden.


Milk crate potatoes hiding my current compost pile.


My new pop-up greenhouse! I love this! A wonderful anniversary gift from my Knight in shining armor. Disclaimer: Husbands, I would not recommend this as a gift for your wife unless she is as big of a gardening fanatic as I am, and even then you better be sure!


The tired potatoes.


My brassicas collection. Along with my little helper, BB, on the wrong side of the fence, but what's a momma to do?


My ugly compost and materials pile. A work in progress. (But isn't it all?!) Thank goodness for gracious neighbors! Hoping to get some sunflowers going in a month or so to help hide it.


Lastly, the future site of my 3 sisters garden: corn, beans, and squash that one of my oh so generous neighbors (Working Man) lets me use. Mind the gutter, still deciding on it's use this year.


Well, that's about the extent of it. And just so you know I left a corner for the kids to play in...


I look forward to filling in the details on each and every one of these gardening techniques and plants in the coming weeks.

Can't wait? Dying to plant something right now? Get some radish seeds. They are quick to grow, larger seeds that are easier to handle, and very hardy. The greens are good to eat as well as the root. Plant them in a pot, a raised bed, a lot, a garden bed, or any spot! They are great for kids to plant too.

Until next time!

Jen Hen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following! I'd love to hear from you!

Disclaimer: This is my personal blog. Any opinions are my own and are not necessarily shared with the authors of the links I provide. All pictures without an attached link for credit are my own. Because I post pictures of my family from time to time and need to protect their safety, permission is required before using any of my personal pictures. My personal opinions, writings, and quirky sense of humor are not meant to defame, purge, humiliate, and or injure anyone should they decide to act upon or reuse any information provided by me. Any comments made below are the sole responsibility of the independent reader that left them. I will not tolerate any hateful, profane, or generally hurtful comments on any of my posts. Please be polite with your disagreements.

I am not an expert on anything I write about, so consult a professional before attempting to repeat anything I have done or written about. I am not responsible for any damage, injury, death, monetary loss, or other loss that may incur with use of my blog. All my posts are meant to be an invitation to join me on my homesteading journey and perhaps help someone along the way. You, the reader, have an obligation to exercise common sense, further research, personal discretion, and professional consultation before following any of my suggestions or recommendations. All of my opinions are my own, whether I have been paid to give it or not.

With that said, I hope you have an excellent homesteading journey!