Sunday, April 27, 2014

Making a Salad from Plant Thinnings

Hello Fellow Gardeners!

My garden is in full swing!

The leafy greens pallet is sprouting right along. I planted more seed in the bare spots.


The square foot garden has some new additions.


The root veggies are gradually running into each other.


Peas are starting to grab the fence.


No sign of strawberries yet!


Brassicas lane is moving right along.


Both the bagged and the tired potatoes are sprouting up!



The greenhouse and potted plants are flourishing.
Thyme and Basil seedlings

New additions: Kohlrabi, Okra, Zucchini.

Tomatoes and Peppers

Newly sown Kandy Corn seeds.

My sweet little Tiny Tim mini tomato plant with his clover companions.

No sign of this strawberry sprout either!

Radishes starting to burst out of their trough.

Here's a closer look. So pretty!

Red Leaf and Romaine lettuce as well as the onion scraps I planted over the winter.

And let's not forget my pineapple plant sunning in the corner.

With all this growth, it's time to thin out some plants to make room. I don't do this everyday, but I keep an eye on them. Then, when I feel I have enough to make a salad, I go through and thin them all at once.

Beets are starting to get crowded.


That's better!


Little Buddy loves helping out.


Add some young dandelion greens.



An average gathering. Upper left: Radishes and their greens. Top middle: Arugula leaves. Top right: dandelion greens. Bottom left: Red leaf and Romaine lettuce. Middle: Beet greens. Bottom right: Red leaf lettuce.


Soak them all in water with a bit of vinegar,


give them a good rinse,


and, whala, you have a salad!


I added store bought cucumbers and tomatoes for a garnish. Yummy! The blend of flavors is amazing! The spicy radishes and arugula mixed with the cool, tame flavor of red leaf lettuce, the earthy taste of beet greens, and the wild taste of dandelion greens makes this salad an experience! I have found that heavy salad dressings mask the natural flavors too much for my liking. Though I like to have a bit of something liquidy on my salad, so I am going to try some lightly flavored vinaigrettes and oils.

If you normally eat iceberg or romaine lettuce salads, the strong taste of this salad will take some getting used to. You may want to try just one or two different greens at a time to help your taste buds adjust. Either way, I highly recommend eating your garden thinnings. It will get you eating fresh produce from the garden much faster than waiting for everything to mature. I purposely over plant certain things for this reason. 

Be sure to do your research before eating the leaves of something, though. Some plants, like rhubarb, have poisonous leaves that are dangerous to ingest. Other leaves, like turnip greens, are better off being cooked first since they can have little spines on them that are not fun to chew. (Yes, I found this one out the hard way last year!) This year, I realized that the larger radish greens do too.

This is a great way to get little ones to eat their greens too! Little Buddy won't eat a salad, but he'll eat a dandelion leaf right out of the yard. It's the novelty of it. But use caution here too! Be certain your child doesn't start eating random plants out of the yard...yikes! Little Buddy understands this well so I feel he's safe there.

With that, I wish your taste buds many salivatory adventures!
Happy Gardening!

Jen Hen

This post shared on: New Life on a Homestead

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following! I'd love to hear from you!

Disclaimer: This is my personal blog. Any opinions are my own and are not necessarily shared with the authors of the links I provide. All pictures without an attached link for credit are my own. Because I post pictures of my family from time to time and need to protect their safety, permission is required before using any of my personal pictures. My personal opinions, writings, and quirky sense of humor are not meant to defame, purge, humiliate, and or injure anyone should they decide to act upon or reuse any information provided by me. Any comments made below are the sole responsibility of the independent reader that left them. I will not tolerate any hateful, profane, or generally hurtful comments on any of my posts. Please be polite with your disagreements.

I am not an expert on anything I write about, so consult a professional before attempting to repeat anything I have done or written about. I am not responsible for any damage, injury, death, monetary loss, or other loss that may incur with use of my blog. All my posts are meant to be an invitation to join me on my homesteading journey and perhaps help someone along the way. You, the reader, have an obligation to exercise common sense, further research, personal discretion, and professional consultation before following any of my suggestions or recommendations. All of my opinions are my own, whether I have been paid to give it or not.

With that said, I hope you have an excellent homesteading journey!