Saturday, September 13, 2014

I Love Fall! Pumpkin Everything!

Hello Fellow Homesteaders!

I love pumpkins! I love how big and impressive their vines are.


I love how bright and beautiful their flowers are.



Though, I am not sure I will have a pumpkin crop this year as it is mid-September and this is the biggest little guy I have so far.


I did get some pretty white acorn squash and a teeny green one from my garden, so perhaps that will do.


No matter where it comes from, I love pumpkin! One year I acquired a huge box of pumpkins and had enough for the whole year! One day I hope to grow enough of my own pumpkins to last a year. Pumpkin puree keeps well in the freezer. I have also dehydrated pumpkin puree, then ground it into a powder to be reconstituted with hot water later on. Canning pumpkin puree is not recommended, but you could can pumpkin chunks with a pressure cooker if you wanted to go that route.

Did I say I love pumpkins! They are pretty, nutritious, fun to grow, and can be used in almost endless ways for cooking! (Perhaps pumpkins are why orange is my favorite color!) So, here are some yummy pumpkin recipes I have gathered and want to share with you. I have made some of these and the rest are on my to-do list! I have yet to taste a pumpkin dish I didn't like!

I almost always use fresh pumpkin over store-bought canned. Use whatever method you like, this is just a personal preference of mine because I love pumpkins! But, don't feel bad if you don't have access to fresh pumpkins and/or just don't want to mess with preparing them. I enjoy all this because, as you know, I have a bit of craziness about me. If you want to try your hand at using fresh pumpkins, here's where you begin!

Pumpkin Pie Puree

Cooking a Whole Pumpkin

How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds

Pumpkin Pie Spice



Of course we all think of pie when the subject of pumpkins comes up. Here is a yummy variety!

Pumpkin Pie in the Slow Cooker with Crust

Party Pumpkin Pie

Microwave Impossible Pumpkin Pie

Lactose Free Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie

Healthy Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin Pie Casserole

Homemade Pumpkin Pie

Individual Pumpkin Pies



Pumpkin Bread makes a wonderful gift!

Pumpkin Bread

Pumpkin Seed Flat Bread

Pumpkin Praline Bread

Slow Cooker Pumpkin Bread in Jars

Cranberry Pumpkin Bread

Yogurt and Pumpkin Bread

Pumpkin Walnut Bread



Start the Day with Pumpkins! Waffles, muffins, and pancakes...Oh My!

Pumpkin French Toast

Pumpkin Waffles

Healthy Pumpkin Pancakes

Amish Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel Frosting

Pumpkin Blueberry Pancakes

Pumpkin Spice Muffins

Pumpkin Waffles

Pumpkin Muffins with Oatmeal Streusel Topping

Pumpkin Spice Pancakes

Delicious Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins




Making a Meal out of Pumpkin. A walk on the wild side...

Pumpkin Pasta

Pumpkin Apple Harvest Rice

Pumpkin Mac and Cheese

Low Fat Lemony Lentils with Pumpkin

Creamy Pumpkin Polenta

Abobora Refogada Brazilian Stewed Pumpkin

Afghan Fried Pumpkin

Pumpkin Risotto

Best Pumpkin Casserole




Pumpkin Soup?! Yes Please!

Roasted Pumpkin Soup

Fall Harvest 3 Sisters Soup

Zesty Cream of Pumpkin Soup

Armenian Pumpkin Stew

Pumpkin Soup (Dairy Free Option)




Beyond the Pie: Yummy Pumpkin Desserts and Sweets!

Pumpkin Crunch

Baked Pumpkin Bread(less) Pudding

Candy Corn Smoothie

Pumpkin Cheesecake Bites

Bisquick Pumpkin Cake

Almond Pumpkin Charlotte

Amazing Pumpkin Spice Cookies

Easy, Healthy Pumpkin Cookies

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Crock Pot Pumpkin Spice Latte

Pumpkin Gingersnap Ice Cream

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars




I don't know about you, but I'm ready to get started on my fall cooking! The weather is cooling off, soon the leaves will start to turn vibrant colors, and we'll feel winter's nip on our nose in no time. Fall seems to disappear before I've had time to really enjoy it, so I'm keeping an eye on it this year.


Here are some of last year's pumpkins. The nasty looking one got attacked from underneath by rolly-pollies and I didn't catch it until it had already mended itself and grew some more.


After cutting off the bottom part, the rest looked normal, so we cooked it and ate it and I lived to post this today. Ha ha ha!


I hope you have an excellent time cooking and baking with pumpkin! And please share your favorite pumpkin recipes in the comments and/or share a link!

Happy Pumpkining!

Jen Hen

***Don't forget, only 2 more days to get your copy of the Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle 2014! Have questions? Click HERE.

4 comments:

  1. I love pumpkins too but my harvest did not happen this year! Great post, thanks for sharing on the HomeAcre Hop hope to see you again tomorrow! - Nancy
    The Home Acre Hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My harvest failed this year too. The late freezes really messed a lot of things up this year!

      Delete
  2. WHOA! enough pumpkin info to keep me stocked for the next 429524 seasons ;)
    The squashes are my new favorite things to grow!

    Looking forward t catching up on the rest of your cooking posts too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Thanks! I try to grow and preserve enough to last me all year, but never quite make it. This year, my harvest failed, so we will have much less to enjoy. But at least I can support my local pumpkin patch.

      Delete

Thank you for following! I'd love to hear from you!

Disclaimer: This is my personal blog. Any opinions are my own and are not necessarily shared with the authors of the links I provide. All pictures without an attached link for credit are my own. Because I post pictures of my family from time to time and need to protect their safety, permission is required before using any of my personal pictures. My personal opinions, writings, and quirky sense of humor are not meant to defame, purge, humiliate, and or injure anyone should they decide to act upon or reuse any information provided by me. Any comments made below are the sole responsibility of the independent reader that left them. I will not tolerate any hateful, profane, or generally hurtful comments on any of my posts. Please be polite with your disagreements.

I am not an expert on anything I write about, so consult a professional before attempting to repeat anything I have done or written about. I am not responsible for any damage, injury, death, monetary loss, or other loss that may incur with use of my blog. All my posts are meant to be an invitation to join me on my homesteading journey and perhaps help someone along the way. You, the reader, have an obligation to exercise common sense, further research, personal discretion, and professional consultation before following any of my suggestions or recommendations. All of my opinions are my own, whether I have been paid to give it or not.

With that said, I hope you have an excellent homesteading journey!