Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Making Seed Tape

Hello Fellow Homesteaders!

If you follow my Facebook page, you know I have been working on seed tape. This is the first year I'm trying this out. I am using this for the small seeds that can be directly sown into the ground close together, like root veggies. Let's face it, doing this with corn would sort of be pointless, but I'm sure you still could if you were that ambitious! But for very small seeds, like carrot seed shown here, it can really save on your back and the amount of seed you use. This just looks like a bowl of dirt the seeds are so small! (Of course, there is a bit of dirt in with it, but I promise, there are seeds in there too!)


This is just one of many methods to make seed tape.
1. You'll need toilet paper, 2-ply is most versatile, but you could also use a very thin 1-ply for smaller seeds and a thicker 1-ply for bigger seeds.
2. A bit of flour
3. A cotton swab or toothpick
4. Tweezers
5. Some seeds
6. Some patience!

Take the flour and mix just enough water with it to make a paste. This is the glue that you will use to keep the seeds attached to the TP. You want to be able to easily dab it onto the TP without tearing it, but not so watery as to ruin the seeds. I made mine about the consistency as white school glue.


Then I got my yardstick and rolled out a length of TP. I looked at the back of the seed packet for seed spacing. I plan on thinning my plants, so I put the seeds closer together. These are beets seeds to be planted 2 inches apart and thinned to 4 inches when the plants are growing. I use the intensive gardening spacing, so I ignore the space needed between rows. I placed a dot of glue every 2 inches and had enough room to make 2 rows on a sheet of TP. Then I carefully placed a seed on every dot before the glue dried out. Beet seeds are easy since they are bigger. When I did the carrot seeds, I used tweezers since they are so teeny and hard to get a hold of. For bigger seeds, like beet seeds, I use thicker TP or 2-ply. For smaller seeds, like carrot seeds, I peeled the layers of 2-ply apart and just used one side.


Place another length of TP (or the other half of the 2-ply if you separated them) over the top when you are done placing your seeds. You may want to add some extra glue here and there to hold the 2 pieces together. OR you can also just make one row of seeds on the paper and fold it over lengthwise. This would be ideal if you are making traditional garden rows instead of using intensive spacing.


Then I labeled my seeds, including the variety if I'm planting more than one kind. The carrots here are Danvers Half Long abbreviated DHL. I placed them out to dry, picking them up every so often to be sure I didn't glue them to the table. You could use parchment paper or something like that under them to keep them from sticking also.


When they are all dry (I let them dry overnight just to be safe) I fold them and put them in a container to keep them dry until I'm ready to plant them! When that time comes, just place the amount of seed tape in the space you want and cover it with the appropriate amount of soil for the type of seed you have. For instance: beets need to be planted 1/2 inch down, so I would cover the seed tape with a layer of soil 1/2 deep. Easy peasy!


I can't wait to try these out! It's very tedious to make these but it will all be worth it if it saves me some time and some sore back muscles during planting season. It's also a nice way to break up the monotonous winter. As long as these are kept dry, they should last as long as the seeds do.

Obviously you wouldn't want to do this with seeds you want to start indoors or seeds that need to be spaced very far apart (like squash or broccoli.) Root vegetables, leafy greens, and onions are great candidates for this method. Let me know if you try it out and how you like it!

Happy Gardening!

Jen Hen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following! I'd love to hear from you!

Disclaimer: This is my personal blog. Any opinions are my own and are not necessarily shared with the authors of the links I provide. All pictures without an attached link for credit are my own. Because I post pictures of my family from time to time and need to protect their safety, permission is required before using any of my personal pictures. My personal opinions, writings, and quirky sense of humor are not meant to defame, purge, humiliate, and or injure anyone should they decide to act upon or reuse any information provided by me. Any comments made below are the sole responsibility of the independent reader that left them. I will not tolerate any hateful, profane, or generally hurtful comments on any of my posts. Please be polite with your disagreements.

I am not an expert on anything I write about, so consult a professional before attempting to repeat anything I have done or written about. I am not responsible for any damage, injury, death, monetary loss, or other loss that may incur with use of my blog. All my posts are meant to be an invitation to join me on my homesteading journey and perhaps help someone along the way. You, the reader, have an obligation to exercise common sense, further research, personal discretion, and professional consultation before following any of my suggestions or recommendations. All of my opinions are my own, whether I have been paid to give it or not.

With that said, I hope you have an excellent homesteading journey!