Saturday, May 24, 2014

Straw Bale Gardening

Hello Fellow Gardeners!

Have you heard of straw bale gardens? I learned of these last season, but did not have a bale in which to try it. With all the other planting options I have, I thought if I needed to try a straw bale garden, the good Lord would provide one instead of me buying them. Well, this year He did! I have to tell you, this is pretty simple, short and sweet, unlike many of my posts. There is really not much to this. It's so simple, in fact, I didn't have enough info or pictures to make a whole tutorial!

First, get a straw bale. For more information on straw vs. hay, check out my Potato Tower post. 

Then soak it down with fertilizer of your choice and wait for the center of the bale to begin to heat up and break down. Or just use a hay bale that has sat out in the weather for a year. Ok, so I didn't do this part. In my haste to get it planted, somehow that simple step got missed. If you haven't figured me out yet, I'm sort of a jump-in-and-figure-it-out-later type of gardener.

Next, pack a little bit of potting soil or compost on the top of the bale for your seeds to start out with. In my case, I had tomato seedlings ready to plant, so I dug a little hole in the bale, put the root ball there, then used soil to fill in the space above that and on top of the bale to plant my tomato deeper like you would in the ground.

Then just let it grow! I water mine a bit more frequently than the rest of the garden since I didn't wait for the bale to break down. Plus I will probably use some fertilizer on it for that same reason. This first year may not work out well, but I'll have it down by next year by gum! It will be fun to see! As always, I'll keep you updated.


Happy Gardening!

Jen Hen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for following! I'd love to hear from you!

Disclaimer: This is my personal blog. Any opinions are my own and are not necessarily shared with the authors of the links I provide. All pictures without an attached link for credit are my own. Because I post pictures of my family from time to time and need to protect their safety, permission is required before using any of my personal pictures. My personal opinions, writings, and quirky sense of humor are not meant to defame, purge, humiliate, and or injure anyone should they decide to act upon or reuse any information provided by me. Any comments made below are the sole responsibility of the independent reader that left them. I will not tolerate any hateful, profane, or generally hurtful comments on any of my posts. Please be polite with your disagreements.

I am not an expert on anything I write about, so consult a professional before attempting to repeat anything I have done or written about. I am not responsible for any damage, injury, death, monetary loss, or other loss that may incur with use of my blog. All my posts are meant to be an invitation to join me on my homesteading journey and perhaps help someone along the way. You, the reader, have an obligation to exercise common sense, further research, personal discretion, and professional consultation before following any of my suggestions or recommendations. All of my opinions are my own, whether I have been paid to give it or not.

With that said, I hope you have an excellent homesteading journey!